Sunday 20 April 2008

6. The Future

The future of gaming at the moment looks bright but necessarily orange. Obvious things we know will be able in the future will be faster internet connections enabling multiplayer games to consist of many more users than is possible to today. Bigger storage devices and more advanced GPUs (Graphics processing units) means better graphics and more objects being able to interact with each other adding a new definition to the realism. However some things being developed are more surprising but equally as exciting.

For example, the piece of kit called Neurosky. What’s that I hear you ask? Well give me a moment and I’ll explain. Anyway, Neurosky is a “super-futuristic” piece of kit, which on completion I am so getting. Below is a video outlining what the Neurosky headset is, what it does and shows it in action.



This is basically how it works:


You concentrate hard on lifting an object in the game; the chip in the headset reads this info via the brainwaves and sends a signal to the algorithms of the headset. They translate it to something the game can understand and your action happens in game. Pretty amazing if you ask me! As stated in the video this can be used for more than just gaming. Another practical use is to help NASA with experiments in space and helping the elderly with mind controlled wheelchairs. This will benefit everyone and I think is extremely impressive. The only issue is, how much is something like that going to cost? Or more importantly how many years will have to wait before I can avoid one?

As I’ve stated graphics are getting better and recently with games like Crysis, the graphics are almost photorealistic. This really adds more realism to the game and turns it into a new experience for gaming. I should know, I have Crysis, and it’s awesome!

Here are some screenshots I’ve taken myself:

Click to enlarge them.










This is a screenshot from a downloadable tech demo released by the Nvidia Corporation, who makes graphics cards. This human head is completely computer graphics, but looks almost real! Click the picture to enlarge.



Here also is an interesting article about Will Wright, creator of Sims, and his new game Spore. This article focuses on how customizable the game is and Will speaks about his views on the future of gaming. Click here to view it.

No comments: